Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Resident's Registration and Meeting a 50 m. Buddha












I began today by meeting my EF representative Lucia and the European boys to register for our Resident visas. We all met at a subway exit and then walked a few blocks to what looked like a very big, important building. However, this building was much nicer then the scary medical clinic. We waited in line for a long time as other foreigners in front of us did their best nod and point to the paperwork. I felt pretty lucky to have someone there who could talk for me. We all chatted as Lucia talked to the person at the desk and watched every single piece of paper I have ever given EF being given to the office, including my passport! We all passed and will be gaining residency! However, they are taking our passports for a week to put in the residence's visa and alert our respective police stations our change of status.

The European boys all had classes to go teach, so I said good-bye to them and started my own adventure for the day. The very official looking building is in the same neighborhood of the Lama Temple, a place that I wanted to go visit. (The European boys all said it was a "must do" on my list for the Buddha alone!) I wound my back to the area of the Temple and searched for the entrance for awhile. I passed lots and lots of street vendors selling incense and prayer beads. I accidentally found the entrance and got in line to buy a ticket behind a bus load of Japanese tourists on a "China Spring Tour" their sign read. They were a lively bunch and I enjoyed getting into grounds behind them because I could just follow them. I think it would be pretty fun to see a country on a tour like that someday.

The entrance to the Temple's grounds was tree lined and beautiful, full of people speaking all types of languages. Some of the entrance's signs were in English and I learned that the grounds was built in 1615 AD and has been protected by most of the dynasty's since. I thought I was going to see one great big temple, but there were actually maybe twenty buildings on the entire grounds. A few of them were shops and and small museums, but most of them were temples to worship in. Many visitors brought incense that they would light outside in front of each Temple. In a few of the temples, visitors were allowed to bring incense in, but not lit, as an offering to the Buddha. It was the best smelling part of China I've been to so far!

I felt a little odd, maybe disrespectful is the best word, as I went from temple to temple as people from all over the world were praying and making their offerings to the Buddha. Once I saw a few more people like me who were interested in being there standing to the sides trying to take it all in, I felt better. It was definitely a humbling experience watching so many people making a pilgrimage of sorts to one of the oldest, most famous lamasery.

All of the temples are beautiful, open air buildings, full of intricate, large Buddha statues. There were statues of other people too that I had no idea who they were! However, the last temple was just fantastic. The temple holds a 50 meters Buddha made out of one large chunk of Sandalwood. I first walked in and the awning blocked the Buddha from his knees up. Then, I went in further and was only able to see up to his waist, and finally when I was in the main hall I was able to see all of him. It was astounding. I think I just stared like an idiot for a while, it so crazy impressive. The funny thing was there was a Tibetan monk in each Temple, making sure people were not getting too close to the artifacts, but the monk in the 50 meters Buddha temple was asleep and snoring against the Buddha's feet.

I was not allowed to take pictures in the temples, but I tried to take quite a few of the grounds and the outside of the temples to get a bit of a flavor of the place. I'll keep posting a few more this week.

After I sat and people watched for a while, I went back to that awesome Western restaurant I went to with Sarah and Amy last Tuesday. They have a really good lunch special and I got a Greek side salad, a pesto and veggie pizza with the greatest cheese ever and a ginger ale. It was lovely! I kind of love that the day I official earn my resident's visa, I officially became a true tourist.


2 comments:

  1. Colleen, I don't have the words to tell you how proud/in awe/envious I am of you... :-D I'm so excited for this path that you're on, and that you're writing about it! I feel so connected!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Crystal. It feels like I am a good path right now, scary and exciting all at the same time. I'm still homesick though. I miss you a lot. I don't think I'll ever take it for granted how easy it is to see my friends in Portland when I am living there.

    ReplyDelete