Thursday, June 3, 2010

Teaching preschoolers Outdoor School songs












Here are a few more pictures. The first picture is of a monk that in his cool robes. The next picture is a little history about the Temple. The final shot is a view of my apartment building. I couldn't walk far back enough to get the whole thing in one shot. Can you see Bartholomew up on the 15th floor in my studio? He's waving at you!

I went into work a little early to get more planning done for this weekend. I'm teaching my first "Open Doors" class where the parents sit in for the second hour of class. EF has you teach the exact same curriculum in the first hour so the students seem so good during the second hour. It seems a little bit like cheating, but I haven't ever taught this class before, I'm just subbing in, so I don't think I care too much. I do care about having a good lesson though.

Miles and I compared ourselves where we are suppose to be on the EF culture shock graph. I'm almost a month in and should be hitting one of my happiest points of the year in the next month. Miles is close to three months in and is should be in his lowest point of unhappiness. It's nice to hear about what lies ahead!

I taught two preschool classes this evening. I had to teach the same extra special class, called a life club, to both classes. We were learning about superheroes. We ran around pretending to fly and shoot webs and the such. Very good fun. Each class colored and cut out wings that I taped to their backs. My last class finished early with the lesson plan and were growing restless. Their little chairs were starting to fly and wings were getting ripped off. Not pretty! I got them to sit in a circle, not really knowing what I was going to do. A voice of inspiration popped in my head that whispered "Guava Hunt." "Guava Hunt" is a repeat-after-me song about a child going on a search for a Guava through swaps and mountains and big trees and such. I changed it to going on a "Dragon Hunt" because since a guava is a figment of my imagination, I thought it was best to change it to something a little more tangible for my little students. They loved it and did a great job of keeping up, and they left happy and not all crazy like normally. It felt like my first big "win" at work so far. Then, a parent caught up with me while I was cleaning up and said she thinks that her four-year-old child should be practicing complex sentence structures and wanted a syllabus. You win some, you lose some!

No comments:

Post a Comment