Friday, September 17, 2010

Long Sleeves Weather

Today was a Beijing first for me: Long Sleeves Weather! It was actually cool enough for me to put on my Columbia rain coat. It's actually a touch chilly. It is only suppose to get to a whooping 64 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow. I left my windows open all day while I was at work to get some (fresh-like) air into the apartment.

At work we all gearing up for the big mid-Autumn or Moon Festival. September 22cd this year, based on the Lunar calendar, is the official Mid-Autumn Festival day here in China and throughout much of Asia. It means a lot of different things for every community or even family here it seems. It seems like the festival celebrates the harvest time or the fullest full moon cycle, and Cindy told me a story about a fairy trying to get to the moon. You are also suppose to eat a moon cake. A moon cake is a little, but filling, pastry that has either egg, meat, or fruit in the center. I'm hoping to at least try a fruit one sometime. It also means that I will be getting three days off in a row next week!

4 comments:

  1. 3 days off, huh? Going to add another "Great Wall type experience" to your China experience? Relax and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Cake AND an extra day off! Wooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read a story about moon cakes when I was younger. Or maybe it was on Reading Rainbow or something like that. lol It sounds like a good time considering you get three days off in a row! And you best be eating a moon cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I will try out a moon cake! I'll let you all know how it is! I think a few of us will be visiting the Summer Palace on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete