Wednesday, August 25, 2010

IKEA Madness

Yesterday, I finished teaching my last summer class! I've enjoyed teaching on the weekday afternoons, but this last week's group in particular was challenging either because the class in whole had a lower level language ability than my students in the previous weeks, or I was just tired from having a new group every single time. I've heard that once the students are all back in school our normal classes will go back to their regular attendance. I'm ready to have a bit more stability in my classes again. It's hard to go into a class with one lesson planned for at least a few students, but there is actually only one student there! I guess it's helped me think quickly about changing my lesson plans.

Today was my last one day off a week- weekend. I did some major grocery shopping and then I went to IKEA. I've been getting tired of sheets that are too small for my bed and decided I just didn't want to sleep like that anymore and I haven't found any bigger sheets in the local stores. I took a taxi to the store, because I read that it's far from the subway station. The taxi driver on the way there tried to just drop me off at a park. I kept on showing him the address and saying "IKEA" and he eventually started the car again and got me there.

I have never been to an IKEA in the states, but I am guessing the store format is a lot like it would be in the states, or any place in the world. I was directed up to the third floor where the showrooms are. I had looked online for what type of bedding I wanted so I had some goals. I had fun going from showroom to showroom. I found a dream living room room set where three of the walls were all bookcases. It was pretty awesome. Those IKEA people are smart about putting little things around that people would want that the customer can just pick up and put in their bag. I was a sucker for candles on this trip.

Eventually, I made my way down to the Merchant room where I picked out a fitted sheet, a top sheet, a quilt, and a quilt cover and pillowcase set. Everything just barely fits over the very top of my mattress.

The taxi driver on my way back home was either truthfully confused about my address or trying to make extra money by driving around in big circles. I finally asked to be taken to the subway station (I can say it in Mandarin now!) and he miraculously got me to the school. It's all the more reason why I hope I can get into a new EF language course soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment