Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Lovely Day at the New China Science and Technology Museum

I spent a lovely Sunday at the New China Science and Technology Museum today with Sue, Nick and Evelina. The museum is located in the Olympic Park, and there were so many people going to the Olympic Green today at 9:30 in the morning. I was impressed. Why isn't everyone at home making breakfast? Anyway...

I was expecting we would check it out for a few hours and then grab some lunch, but we ended up being there for seven hours! We helped close the museum down. There was so many amazing exhibit halls. The first one was about ancient and older inventions from China. I had been led to believe in my college classes that the printing press was a Western invention, but the Chinese were doing that for hundreds of years before the Western world probably thought of it! It was the first time I have ever been in another country's science museum and it was interesting reading everything from a Chinese perspective and reading about how proud they are about their country's contributions to Science. There was an awesome display about the importance of conserving water. It talked about how China's water supply could be very low in ten years, and how we can all help conserve water.

The United States gave the museum a gift of a huge Californian Redwood wood cookie to celebrate the museum's grand opening in 2008. The massive tree had died previously. Nick and I pondered a long time about how it journeyed over here!

Tonight, I have been enjoying another night of fireworks. I'm kind of ready for the show to be over. Someone in my complex was throwing fireworks out of their window. Classy...











P.S. Happy Birthdays Uncle Leo and Jean! Shēng rì kuài lè

No comments:

Post a Comment