Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Shopping Adventures












Here's a few funny pictures from our Christmas shopping adventures.

Today, I started my day by meeting Claire at the subway to eventually meet up with Stephanie who was lovely enough to help us with some Christmas shopping. We first went to a big department store so Claire could look at some jewelry and buy some traditional cooking supplies for her dad.

Later on, the three of us met up with James and went shopping at this crazy, crazy market. The place was just packed. We dashed (as merrily as we could) through the store to help Claire get a few last minute gifts before she had to get to work. The rest of us spent the rest of the afternoon at the crazy shopping center. Any material you could imagine being made was at that center. It was fantastic and crazy and loud! Also, everyone there is really pushy... literally pushy! I had old ladies swatting at me to get out of their ways! I went to one booth to buy Christmas cards for my friends at work and people were just pushing and elbowing me out of the way! They were serious about getting those cards! It was funny, but also alarming and overwhelming being the usually polite, friendly Oregonian girl that I am. I really had to see it as an adventure!

We eventually got out the center alive with Christmas presents in hand. Today was the coldest that it has ever been since I arrived in Beijing. It was 12 degrees F when I woke up this morning! It's 16 degrees F right now close to midnight! I'm going to feel like I am in a heat wave when I come home for my holiday! Stephanie kept on reminding us that this is nothing yet! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow...that shopping experience sounds worse than the Fred Meyer sock sale on the day after Thanksgiving... or even the "day after Christmas" sale. Maybe a bit like the brides that storm that bridal shop in Manhattan for the $100 gowns (the "Bridezillas" can get REALLY mean). It's a balmy 45 degrees here!SEE YOU SOON!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic analogy, Sandra! Excited to see you soon, too!

    ReplyDelete