Sunday, January 30, 2011

Falling with Style on the Slopes of NanShan












Today, my "work day" was located on the slopes of NanShan, a really big hill about an hour out of the heart of Beijing. We all met up at a pre-determined subway stop and caught a bus to NanShan. Joyce had arranged the entire outing, so we dutifully followed her as she courageously ran from bus to bus figuring which one was ours. We had a really nice bus practically to ourselves, with the exception of a few other snow bunnies.

I actually thought we were going to a mountain, but NanShan is really just a hill. A big, big hill, but a hill. The snow was "person" made. Walking on it is much easier than real snow, but doesn't pack that beautiful crunchy sound, though. I had packed enough clothes to survive for a few days, but was pleasantly surprised to learn we could rent ski pants and coats and everything! It took a long time for us to get into our gear, especially into the right size boots, and haggle with the ski instructors for a two hour lesson.

It was an absolutely beautiful day to go skiing today. The sun was bright and it wasn't too windy. Of course, it was cold, but not bone chilling, and I was dressed in about five layers, so I was ready for anything!

The instructor taught us beginners how to get our skis on and we learned how to bend forward and lean forward, "into the danger" as Miles kept pointing out. I actually felt pretty good skiing on flat land, but then, I had to learn how to stop. Stopping is real hard! Really, really, really, really hard!

Then, the crazy instructor said we were going up to the slope! EEEEEEEEEK!

The ride up to the top of the bunny slope was pretty interesting. There was a walking conveyer belt that you sometimes see at airports that went all the way up to the top. I felt brave just getting on the thing! Eventually, I made it to the top, and couldn't stop once I reached the top, and plowed into Cindy! The ski instructors took everyone else down at the same time, but me! They knew I was special case. Luckily, Laura and Miles had decided to check in on us on the bunny slope, and they were psyching me up, which was really sweet of them. My first time down the slope was rough. Once I was going with any momentum, I would try to stop, then realized I couldn't, and then I would freak out and make myself fall. This went on for three tries down the slope. It was exhilarating and awful all at the same time.

We had a little lunch break and rest. I had an interesting moment with my boot and had to beg someone in the rental center to help me out through body language and whimpering!

Eventually, us beginners headed back to the bunny slope while the others decided to try some of the more challenging runs. This time, when I got on the weird conveyer belt, I hesitated, eventually got on, and promptly fell off. They had to stop the whole thing for me to get back up. It was pretty embarasing, and I think it did my head in for the rest of the afternoon. I only made it down the slope once by myself after lots, and lots of falling, but most of the time I was able to get down maybe a third of the way, fall, and wasn't able to get my skis back on, and took the long walk down the hill! Eventually, I ended up practicing a little more by myself on the instruction hill. Cindy and Marie met up with me a little later and we took a fun intertube ride down a big hill, which may have been the most fun I had all day. A few us decided to create our own little photo shoot after we turned in most of our gear, except for our rented clothes.

We all took the bus back chatting about our various adventures and predicting the bruises, sore muscles and sunburns that would show up in the morning. We went out to a special Beijing Duck restaurant for dinner. They carve the bird up in front of your table! I didn't partake of any of the duck, but I did have a lot of good tofu and vegetable dishes. It was a fun way to end a long day.

I really wish I could have gotten more comfortable on the slopes like some of my other friends today on their first try. However, I know myself, and it takes me a really, really, really long time to learn anything sporty. It took me almost two seasons of CYO volleyball to learn how to serve, and even then, just underhanded! I am proud of myself for just trying.

3 comments:

  1. Good Job Colleen! You are very brave and I think you did WAY more than most of us would have done AND in a place where you don't speak the language. The scenary looks great...and COLD! Dreary day here in Portland today: cold, mostly gray..good day for Kindle and several cups of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [see my mom's comment above] :) Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sandra and Laura! I would love a dreary day weather. It's just cold here... all the time.

    ReplyDelete