Saturday, June 4, 2011

Happy Dragon Boat Festival!

It's Dragon Boat Festival weekend in China. Most people are on a long holiday until Wednesday.

I actually went out on a Saturday night last night! Madness! Usually my Saturday nights consist of going to the gym, making dinner, grading papers and failing to good to bed early enough for the next day of classes. I haven't really missed having a "real" weekend in Beijing since most of my friends here have about the same days off as I do.

I met up with my friend Vivian for steamed dumplings for dinner and then Cindy met us a little later. We walked over to a bar where one of Vivian's friends was playing in a band. The music was a mixture of pop and folk, but really fun. I haven't heard live music like that since before I left last year, so it was really awesome. Plus, they had dark beer on tap! Vivian introduced me to two of her friends, one who is a student from Seattle, and a student from Italy. They were visiting from Chendu- the panda place- and will be back there when Joyce, Cindy and I are visiting there. We exchanged phone numbers and we might be able to hang out with them while we are there. They told us about an awesome Buddhist Temple area up on a mountain near Chendu that we should visit. They also gave us a name of a good hostel place to stay at. It was just such good timing.

So far, the rest of this weekend, I've been putting all my stuff into piles. I have my Winter clothes all packed up in my suitcase. I have a pile of clothes to take to a donation center. I have another pile of things to give away to my friends if they want them. I have a pile of things that I need to take with me while traveling. I thought I had been living simply in Beijing, but when trying to put it all into two suitcases, it sure doesn't feel like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment