Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Days 3 and 4: Exploring Xiang Fan

It was an early wake up call Sunday morning in the Chen household. We were all up at 7 and getting ready to go out for a local breakfast. Joyce's dad drove us to a sidewalk restaurant where we had the special Xiang Fan spicy noodles and vinegar wine for breakfast. It was definitely the most spicy, flavorful breakfast I've had this whole year, if not my entire lifetime! It was delicious, but not something I think I could eat every morning!

Then, we walked a bit around a beautiful lake before heading to a temple that housed an important Chinese officer during his holidays. The temple was beautiful. We even went through a maze that was meant to trick the opposing army, but it actually tricked us! It took us a long time to figure out how to get out.

We finally made it out of the maze and went out to lunch with some of Joyce's relatives who were all very nice to me, and I could tell they were all good storytellers even though I had no clue about what they were talking about!

The girls and I met up with Summer and walked around the lake. We had milk tea and rented a boat to take around the river which was a lot of fun. Xiang Fan if full of beautiful nature. There are lots more bugs and birds there compared with Beijing! Joyce's dad's boss and his work mates took us out to dinner. The food was great and there were lots of welcoming toasts!

Monday was a bit lazier. We spent the morning repacking and Joyce and Summer spent some time together. We went out to watch the movie Kung Fu Panda. I had already watched it last week in English with Stephanie and James, so I wasn't heartbroken when we got into the theater and it was only in Chinese with no subtitles. Then, Summer's mom had us all over for a late lunch. Cindy, Summer and I spent a restless two hours trying to buy my plane ticket home online using Summer's account. It is very, very complicated to buy anything online in China. Eventually, we were successful, but I still haven't received my e-ticket so I am not too happy about it yet.

We had dinner with Joyce's parents and then they drove us to the train station so we could make our way to visit Chengdu, home of the panda park!

No comments:

Post a Comment